After logging into Admin go to, Catalog -> Categories/Products This will bring you to a category list. In order to add products you will need to add a Category, to do this click Add Category. You will see:
- Category Name – This is where you enter the name of the category. This will show in the category list in your store.
- Categories Description – This is where you place an explanation of the category. This step is optional
- Category Image – If you would like to add an icon to your category, add it here. This step is optional.
- Sort Order – You can change the sort order of your categories if you do not want them listed alphabetical. This is step optional.
In order to add a new product, click the category line that you would like to add a product. This will bring you to the products listing page. Click new product. This will bring up the add product info page.
- Product Status – This is simple. Is the product sellable? If you want to pre-announce your new product, you can select out of stock then add a date that they will be available. Zen Cart has a module that announces the item as coming soon.
- Date Available – This goes with the above. You can select when the product will be available and Zen Cart will switch the product to in stock on that day.
- Product Manufacture – This is self-explanatory. You can add to this dropdown by adding a manufacture in Catalog->Manufacturers. You must do this before you add product if you want to use this dropdown. Alternatively, you can do it afterwards by editing your product.
- Product Name – Add your product name
- Product is free – Is your product going to be free?
- Product is Call for Price – You can use this if you do not want to publish your price for this item.
- Product Priced by Attributes – This would be priced via an attribute and not the actual price you set here. For instance,
- Tax Class – Is this item taxable.
- Products Price (Net) – Actual prices your want to sell your item for.
- Product is Virtual – Your sales tax, if any sets this automatically.
- Always Free Shipping – Is this item shipped free.
- Products Quantity Box Shows – If you have only one of these items, you can select the option of having no quantity box.
- Product Qty Minimum – If you have to sell a minimum quantity of an item.
- Product Qty Maximum – The customer can purchase more than one item up to this amount.
- Product Qty Units – This will set the minimum purchase automatically. Then you can sell this set quantity only. For instance, you want to sell any item in batches of 10 you would set this to 10
- Product Qty Min/Unit Mix - If you have created custom attributes you would use this. Optional.
- Products Description – Describe your product
- Products Quantity – How many do you want to sell.
- Products Model – Your part number, SKU number
- Products Image - This is where your select your image to go with your product.
- Upload to directory – Where do you want to put this image. Directories need to be setup in advance by your system administrator. Otherwise, you can accept the default.
- Products URL – This can be your manufactures website for this item. Not recommended unless you are selling the items as a drop ship or similar.
- Products Shipping Weight – How much does it weigh.
- Sort Order – This will setup the sort order on how the product shows when listed in the store. This is optional.
When you are finished adding in all the information, click Save at the bottom of the page. This will bring you back the products listing page. You are done.
Both the Category page and the products listing page has short cuts. If you will notice on the right hand, side of the page is a batch of little circles.
- The green E – This is the edit button. It will return you to the product or category editing page.
- The red X – This will delete your category or product.
- The purple M – This is the move button. You can move Categories and products around. For instance, you created a product, but realized that you added to the wrong category. You do not have to delete it and recreate it, just move it.
- Black and white circle – This is so you can add Meta tags to your products and categories. This is for search engine optimization.
- The blue C – This is so you can copy a product. Instead of recreating like products repeatedly, you can just make copies and then edit the new-copied product for the new item. This will also let you link products. When you link a product, you can have one item in several different categories. The reasoning behind this is so you can edit one item and not have to go through your store and edit several copies.
- The pink I – This is part of the image management system.
- The Green dollar sign – This will take you to the product price manager.